In order to understand why Moment’s hormone treatments are superior, let’s look at the history of these kinds of treatments. The theme of the 1950s was “better living through chemistry.” Subsequently, a scientist named Edward Adelbert Doisy discovered various forms of estrogen. Estrogen replacement therapy began to be presented as a therapy that could allow women to free themselves from estrogen loss in order to conserve their femininity. As a result, millions of women began using the horse urine estrogen, known as Premarin.
In reality, this novel this type of horse urine estrogen replacement therapy was not well researched. The FDA approved these prescription drugs based on studies of a relatively small number of women.
The Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) was the main public randomized clinical preliminary study to follow hormonal treatment in postmenopausal ladies. The scientists found that ladies on these pills would encounter eight additional instances of intrusive breast malignant growth, seven coronary illnesses, eight strokes, and eight extra pneumonic embolisms. Shortly after the WHI study was halted, another study was released, this one from the Breast Cancer Detection Demonstration Project, part of a nationwide breast cancer screening program, and it showed that “estrogen-only hormone replacement increases the overall risk of ovarian cancer by more than threefold.”
Synthetic estrogen therapy and estrogen-only therapy have been shown to have serious possible side effects and Moment does not do either synthetic estrogen therapy or estrogen-only therapy.
What about synthetic progesterone, also known as progestin?
Synthetic progestins are modifications of progesterone, having atoms introduced into the natural molecule, to create patentable drugs.
A study done at PMS Medical in New York (Comprehensive Therapy v 19, 1993) showed that women given synthetic progestins made their PMS symptoms worse. This may of happened by decreasing the production of biological progesterone by the body making the blood levels even lower. Some doctors give women these progestins and call them “progesterone”, thus leading to further confusion.
Dr. Resnick of Weil Cornell Research observes, “Most of the synthetic progestins are closely related to male hormones like testosterone.” Some of the side effects of progestins are: breast tenderness or flow from the nipples, rashes, itching, fluid retention, acne, loss of pigmentation, increased facial hair, blockage of blood vessels due to increased clotting, break-through bleeding, spotting, changes or cessation of menstrual flow, jaundice, depression, pre-cancerous changes in the cervix, high blood pressure, PMS, change in sexual desire and in appetite, cystitis, headache, nervousness, dizziness, fatigue, backache, loss of scalp hair, weight change, thrombophlebitis, and pulmonary embolism.
Moment does not use synthetic progesterone known as progestin.
There are two main types of synthetic HRT:
What else does Moment do differently?
1. Moment does not use synthetic hormone replacement at all.
- Combination HRT contains the hormones estrogen and progesterone
- Estrogen-only HRT contains only estrogen
Synthetic HRT is made of synthetic hormones. This means that they are similar, but not identical to, the natural hormone they replace. In order for a medical company to patent a chemical compound, they need to alter the chemical structure of the molecule slightly, so it is different from its natural form. This is because it is not possible to patent a natural substance.
Why is synthetic HRT linked to breast cancer?
- HRT is less easily metabolized — which makes your liver work harder. The liver is where estrogen is metabolized, so if the liver isn’t functioning as well, estrogen may not be detoxed out of the body well.
- The hormones in synthetic HRT are not the hormones found in the body. Foreign substances can provoke a negative response.
- Synthetic HRT is not always dosed to a woman’s needs. Different women have different levels of hormones and different needs, but synthetic HRT is one size fits all dosages.
2. Moment uses Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Bioidentical HRT(BHRT) is a bioidentical steroid hormone that is identical in organic structure and function to human hormones. Bioidentical hormones are usually derived from a type of plant oil called diosgenin. Overall, scientific data supports that BHRT is far safer than synthetic hormone replacement therapy likely because it matches the exact structure of the hormones the body already produces.
3. Our hormone formulations do not use added color dyes. Some of the inactive ingredients in Prometrium, (a bioidentical Progesterone) include D&C Yellow No. 10, and FD&C Red No. 40. Red dye 40 is an artificially produced product made from petroleum and oils. It blends with foods to add a red color. It is one of the most common food additives in the US. some people can experience adverse reactions to food additives, even in amounts that are considered safe for most people. Red Dye 40 has been associated with migraines, worsening symptoms of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and a possible risk of cancer. Research suggests that an immune hypersensitivity to chemical components of artificial food dyes could be the underlying cause of the behavioral symptoms that some children with ADHD experience in association with consuming these dyes.
4. Moment does not use peanut oil in our treatments. One of the negative effects of peanut oil is that peanuts are a highly allergenic food. Furthermore, in studies, a high fructose (sugar) diet with peanut oil (high omega-6) led to fatty liver and dyslipidemia (Nature 2018).
5. Moment uses custom formulations. Not every woman is the same or has the same symptoms. Moment customizes each treatment plan and hormone therapy to precisely the dosage a woman needs to match a physiological level that can help her symptoms.
6. Moment uses natural and targeted treatments. When utilized correctly, plant medicine can be a useful way to boost hormone health and overall well-being. Many of these solutions have incredible potency, are safe, and are tolerated well. For example, Rhodiola is an extremely potent anti-cortisol agent, which is becoming increasingly popular in the United States as a medical intervention. Arctic root (Rhodiola Rosea) is used in traditional Chinese medicine to increase vigor and stamina. One clinical trial showed that Arctic root significantly lowered the cortisol response brought on by chronic stress.
Selecting high-quality solutions is key to solving hormonal imbalances. To explore Moment’s safe and effective treatments, head to Moment.